Jaw-Type (Jaw & Spider) couplings feature two aluminum alloy hubs with protruding lugs known as “jaws” and an elastomer “spider” insert between the hubs. Aluminum keeps the jaw coupling lightweight and decreases the moment of inertia on start and stops. The spider element’s shape and design reduces reaction loads resulting from misalignment and provides electric isolation between both shafts.
Miki Pulley jaw-type couplings accept shaft misalignment while offering high load capacity and maintaining a damping effect on vibration and thermal conductivity. Each of our models offers different torque ratings and performance levels determined by the durometer of the elastomer spider, making them adaptable for everything from general purpose motor connections to demanding servo motor applications.
- Fail-safe design and long service life
- Transmits up to 387 ft-lbs. (525 Nm) of torque
- Low reaction loads
- Low to zero backlash, depending on the model
- High torque capacity and torsional stiffness
- Quiet operation
- Easy to install
Jaw-Type Coupling Features by ModelMiki Pulley offers high-quality elastomer jaw-type couplings with a pilot bore (minimum bore) or a bored-to-size option. Select from four spider element durometers based on your misalignment capacity and performance requirements. All the elastomers used in our couplings provide good resistance to oils and chemicals.
- ALS-R Jaw-Type Couplings: Features a Curved-Jaw profile for a slight pre-compression of the spider and Type “R” elastomer spider element with 97 shore hardness. This model offers high torque, high torsional stiffness, and zero-backlash, with a limited capacity for shaft misalignment.
- ALS-Y Jaw-Type Couplings: Features a Curved-Jaw profile for a slight pre-compression of the spider and Type “Y” elastomer spider element with 90 shore hardness. This model provides a good balance of performance and flexibility for shaft misalignment. The tightly fit spider element creates a zero-backlash connection and has a moderate level of torsional stiffness for system responsiveness.
- ALS -B Jaw-Type Couplings: Features a straight jaw profile and Type “B” elastomer spider element with 97 shore hardness. This model provides a looser fit element for handling larger amounts of shaft misalignment and has minimal backlash while still offering a high torque capacity.
- AL SPRFLEX Jaw-Type Couplings: Features a straight jaw profile and (NBR) Nitrile rubber spider element. This model offers high flexibility, high dampening, and low backlash operation. SPRFLEX couplings are designed to be waterproof and oilproof, though excessive amounts of oil and water may cause deterioration.
Hub Shaft Connection OptionsALS-R, ALS-Y, and ALS-B elastomer jaw-type couplings models come with a clamp hub or set-screw/keyway hub. Our AL SprFlex couplings are offered with a pilot bore, set-screw/keyway hub, or clamp hub.
- Pilot Bore: Less costly option, allowing the customer or end-user to machine the bore to their specifications.
- Key/Set Screw Style: Enables a simple shaft connection, allowing for high torque transmission.
- Clamp Style: Designed for easy mounting and removal, it provides a secure shaft connection. It is typically keyless, however, keyways are available upon request.